Monday, March 26, 2012

Sugar, the Glue Holds Me Together.

Since my last blog 5 days have passed with many ups and downs, read on to see just how they went.
Day 2: Craving Meter: 3
Well I woke up starved!!!  I normally don’t eat before the gym, but I had to have a banana before I left.  Surprisingly I didn’t have too terrible sugar cravings throughout the day and managed to only consume 18g of sugar for the day.
Day 3: Craving Meter: 6
Today was a little bit harder than days 1 & 2, I’ve felt hungrier throughout the day and have wanted to snack more – so instead of snacking I drank more water and ate some fruit – which does the trick for maybe 45 minutes.  I was still able to stay strong till about 3:15 and remembered I had half a box of Girl Scout cookies tucked neatly in the back of the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet.  Now, I know what you’re thinking but keep in mind I’m a sugar addict and hiding sweets is just something we do … it really is pretty normal.  You’re probably wondering why I didn’t throw these away when I started this challenge (or at least give them away / eat them myself) but I really did forget they were in there.  I however will not be defeated by sugar so easily, so I reached for a piece of Orange Crème Pop sugar free gum that only has 5 calories which did the trick.  And no I did not throw out the girl scouts cookies for two main reasons: 1. Those babies only come around once a year and they are not cheap!  2.  Somebody in this office is going to eventually have a birthday and we may just need cookies to celebrate with!  Total sugar consumption for the day: 16g.
Day 4: Craving Meter: 4
My sugar cravings have been fairly tolerable, however I think my body is going into shock from the lack of sugar because I have been very dizzy and light-headed for a few days now.  Hoping this passes soon.  I’ve also been slightly irritable and edgy.  Total sugar consumption: 22g
Day 5: Craving Meter 4
Again, my cravings on Saturday weren’t too bad, however I have noticed that I can’t go as long in between meals without eating something.  I’m assuming it’s because my blood sugar dips down too low for too long.  Total sugar consumption: 16g

Day 6: Craving Meter 8
Sunday was the hardest day yet!  I woke up with a blurry shiny spot in my right eye which really freaked me out!  It passed after about a half hour, but as my husband put it, “Sugar was the glue that held me together and now that I’m not consuming it I’m falling apart.”  True story!  Later in the day I went shopping for the boys’ Easter baskets and while in the candy aisle at Target I literally started drooling and fantasized about ripping open the Reese’s Easter egg bag and eating every single one.  My heart started racing and I knew I just had to get out of the there – I fantasized about those eggs for the next hour.  I continued to yearn for sweets as the day progressed and was extremely irritable - by 8 pm I couldn’t take it anymore and just had to have something sweet.  So I made the smartest choice possible and had some hot chocolate, which only has 12 g of sugar when made with water (which against my normal routine of making it with chocolate milk I did make it with water).  This put me over my sugar intake by 5 g for the day but it did the trick and kept me well below where I would have been had I had those Reese’s eggs.  Overall this past week has been easier than I would have anticipated – let’s hope the worse of it is over and that I can keep up this momentum.  Total sugar consumption for the day: 26g. 
Oh and I’m also down 2 lbs just from cutting out sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment